Thursday 29 January 2015

Meet The Mums Who Are Setting Up Their Own Businesses

"The term 'mumpreneur' dates back about 15 years to a feature in Practical Parenting magazine, I think," explains mother, entrepreneur and writer Antonia Chitty, author of many books, including 129 Brilliant Business Ideas for Mums and The Mumpreneur Guide. "When I started writing, 'work-at-home mum' was another often-used term, but that didn't tell the full story."

Chitty says the number of mothers with babies and young children who run businesses has grown enormously in recent years. "It's become mainstream and more recently there's been a bit of a backlash against the mumpreneur label, because women want to be seen as businesspeople in their own right."

Such women come from all walks of life, but, according to Chitty, they all share a determination to make a better life for themselves and their families. "Many women are spurred on to start their own business because their employment circumstances aren't sufficiently family-friendly. Self-employment gives mums the control they need over their working hours, while enabling them to generate income. And many of them come up with business ideas after finding solutions to challenges they face as a parent."

Mother of invention

One such example is Surrey-based Cara Sayer, 41-year-old managing director of Really Simple Ideas Ltd, whose most successful trademark is SnoozeShade, an award-winning range of sun and sleep shades for prams. She started her business in 2008, following a 20-year career in marketing and events and the birth of her daughter, Holly.  "I got fed up with blankets falling off Holly's pram when we were out and she needed to sleep, so I decided to make my own shade. Other people thought it was great and wanted one, so I had a prototype made and took it to a trade show.

"The response was overwhelmingly positive – I even secured an order from JoJo Maman Bébé, a leading baby and toddler retailer started by the mother and entrepreneur Laura Tenison. I had to quickly go into full-scale production to achieve their four-month delivery deadline."

Sayer also impressed buyers from John Lewis, Mothercare and others: "It just sort of snowballed," she smiles. Guided by customers' feedback, she developed 10 products in three years. The business now turns over more than £250,000, selling more than 40,000 units to customers in 20 countries.

"Anyone who says juggling being a mother and primary childcarer with running a business is easy is either fibbing or has a full-time nanny. It's a struggle to balance time spent on the business and time with Holly. However, as a businesswoman, I hope I'm setting a positive example for her. She's very proud of her mummy and loves the fact she's pictured on the packaging."

Maternal instinct

Another successful entrepreneur and mum (to Barnaby, 10, Maisy, 8 and Monty, 3) is 39-year-old Wendy Shand, who runs Lincolnshire-based Tots to Travel, a family-friendly holiday villa company.

"I set the business up in 2006, following a near disastrous holiday in 2005 to France with my husband, son and baby daughter. Barnaby was two-and-a-half and fell into an unenclosed swimming pool, but thankfully he came to no harm," Shand recounts. "The property wasn't equipped for small children, while having to take so much stuff from home with you is a logistical nightmare for parents.

"I recognised the business opportunity – and was certainly looking for one. I'd worked in PR and marketing and had got married to my husband, who was in the RAF, so I had to move away from London. I needed something that offered greater flexibility, so I became a reception teacher for a while, but working in the public sector was very frustrating.

Greater flexibility

"I always wanted to run my own business and was just waiting for the right opportunity. I knew it had to be something that was scalable. If you are to successfully combine your career with children you need flexibility, but often you don't get it while working for someone else."

Initially, Shand's startup offered family-friendly breaks to nine carefully selected gîtes in France, but now customers can choose from almost 400 child-friendly properties in France, Italy, Spain, Portugal, the Canaries and the Balearics. The business has turned over £4m in seven years and now employs six office-based staff in the UK, with six representatives overseas who carry out property inspections.

Enormous opportunities

"I've grown my business slowly – deliberately so – because development has been planned 
around having and bringing up my children. The older they became, the more time I could dedicate to my business. Balancing both roles is difficult at times, but you have to keep plugging away.

"You must have a good business idea, but you don't have to come up with something entirely new, just something that's better. I didn't invent the holiday lettings business, I just created a business tailored to a market that wasn't being catered for. There are enormous opportunities out there for mothers who want to start their own business."

No comments:

Post a Comment